Monday, May 19, 2014

Southern-Style Greens (Kale)

I was pretty sure, after one serving at one of those all-you-can-eat buffet places that I didn't like collard greens.  I didn't want to give up, since, you know, those places don't necessarily have the best recipes, chefs, or quality ingredients.  Still, I was hesitant to waste my time finding a recipe and the ingredients to make my own collard greens. I don't remember eating them growing up, Southern staple that they are.  Then again, I wasn't sure I liked kale either.  I'd never had it before.  I had, however, heard about its awesomeness in the form of chips, its health benefits, and its ability to work yet another green vegetable into our green bean laden rotation.  Enter this recipe.  It's "amaze-balls", "the bomb dot com", "fantabulous" and any other yummy way you can find to describe it.  Oh yeah, and it's pretty healthy too.  Try it with turkey bacon, or (as I do) reduced fat bacon.  Then again, with only three strips divided among at least four folks, just use the good stuff!

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 cup water
1 1-pound bunch kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add bacon and cook until browned and crispy.  Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towel, reserving drippings in pan.

Add onion and garlic to skillet drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.  Add water and half the kale.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until kale is wilted, about 2 minutes.  Add remaining kale, salt, and pepper.  Cover and cook until kale is tender and water has evaporated, about 3 minutes more.

Add bacon to skillet, stir to combine and heat through.  

Serves 4.

Recipe adapted from The South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook by Arthur Agatston.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    This looks like a very tasty dish! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete