Monday, May 28, 2012

Cleanse & Detox Day 1

Sometime last week a friend of mine posted on Facebook that she was doing a three-day cleanse. Intrigued, I checked out the blog where she got the information and recipes. I looked over the ingredients, method, results, and benefits, shrugged my shoulders and thought, what the heck?!

And then I mentioned the cleanse to my husband who was all for it. He suggested I try the cleanse myself and perhaps he'll jump on board sometime in the near future. Thankful that I had a cheerleader (really, I wasn't surprised, because Hubs and I are both very health-conscious) I decided that I'd start the three-day detox on a Monday, and wrap it up on a Wednesday, just in time for the weekend. Further, I decided that I'd do this over a long weekend, since that would mean he'd would be home for the first day to cheer me on right at the beginning!

On Saturday, I made my list and we hit up the grocery together. My husband helped me pile my cart high with all the fresh produce I'd need, and we were able to get everything for $25. Not bad considering that accounts for six meals, making this cleanse cheaper than McDonald's....and needless to say, much healthier!

And when I woke up this morning, my husband was quick to remind me that I needed to get started! The quick and dirty is that you drink your special juices for three consecutive days. Each day has it's own recipe, and a specific system to cleanse. You drink eight ounces of the juice every hour for eight hours each day (total of 64 ounces) along withat least 64 ounces of water. After 6:00pm you are allowed lean protein and veggies for dinner.

Each day of this cleanse I'll post on how things are going, what recipes I'm using, and what effect all this is having on me. Follow along if you'd like, or make plans for your own cleanse sometime soon!
Day 1: Fresh 7 Liver & Kidney Detox

Blend 3 apples, 3 beets, 3 tomatoes, 3 large carrots, 3 pieces of celery, 3 cucumber, juices from 1 1/2 lemons together. 

I peeled everything (cored the apples) and ran through my food processor the night before. The next day I gave it all a second whirl in my blender. The taste is very earthy, and I can't lie; the first 8 ounces made me gag with every gulp. Then I started chasing each sip with really cold water, which made the "juice" go down more quickly. By glass #5, I was just diluting the 8 ounces of juice with cold water, which made it even more juice-like and got the process over with much more quickly.

I peed every five minutes. 

I didn't even pee that often when I was pregnant.

When Hubs reheated his Pho from last night's dinner, I was really jealous. But this cleanse is a good thing, and I am going to see it through.

But I can't wait for dinner tonight when I get to eat solid food! I'm making Besto Pesto Baked Chicken and Caesar Salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment