Monday, April 30, 2012

Firecracker Cole Slaw

I'm not a huge fan of cole slaw.  Alone, that is.  Being from the South, slaw is a staple on top of a BBQ sandwich (yes, BBQ is a type of sandwich, not a method of cooking or type of party; that, my friends, is called grilling out or cooking out...or hosting a cookout...end rant).  But when I saw this recipe online not too long ago, I knew I had to try it!  It's spicy.  It's crunchy.  It's fresh.  It's healthy.  It'd be the perfect side to a summertime meal packed with flavor.  And, it'd remind me of home.

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (in the Oriental section)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
16 oz slaw mix (or shred your own cabbage, if you're not lazy like me)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegars, sugar, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes, then toss and serve.

Serves 6-8.

Recipe adapted from Everyday With Rachael Ray.



No comments:

Post a Comment