Thursday, October 6, 2011

Semi-Homemade Spaghetti

Of course everyone has their "go to" spaghetti sauce that they pick up from the grocery every visit.  And yes, some of you are so fabulous you actually make your own sauce from scratch.  But I am not you.  I don't like the bland and too runny (for me) store-bought sauces, but neither do I have the patience skills to make my own.  So I make like Sandra Lee and concoct my own version of not-store-bought-but-not-homemade spaghetti sauce!  Hope you like it as much as I do!

You'll need:
2-3 T olive oil, plus more for drizzling
4-6 large cloves diced garlic, divided
1 medium-large onion, diced
1 small bell pepper (color of your choice, I often used 1/2 green and 1/2 red), diced
1 4.5-oz can sliced black olives, drained
1 4.5-oz water chestnuts, drained
1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped prosciutto
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 24-oz jar of your favorite store-bought spaghetti sauce (I'm a fan of the hearty Prego varieties)
1 pound spaghetti noodles
2 pita rounds or flat bread slices


Preheat your oven to 225 degrees.  On a baking sheet, place your bread and drizzle with oil.  Sprinkle 2-3 cloves of the diced garlic on the bread.  Sprinkle dried parsley over top for color if you wish.  Bake until crispy (I usually let mine go until I dish up the pasta).

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat.  When the oil is hot, add remaining garlic, onion, and bell pepper, sauteing until fragrant.  Add meats, stirring to break up the beef, and continue to cook until browned.  Stir in tomato paste until incorporated.  Reduce the heat to low and add tomato sauce.  (For a spicier version, add in some crushed red pepper flakes!)

While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot salted water to boil.  Add a pound of spaghetti noodles (we really like the heartier whole wheat noodles) and cook until al dente.  Drain and divide amongst your plates.  Top with a generous portion of your sauce and parmesan cheese.

Cut bread into portion-sized pieces and serve alongside pasta and Caesar salad.

Serves 4 hearty portions!

No comments:

Post a Comment