Monday, August 22, 2016

Grilled Achiote Shrimp

I never met a shrimp I didn't like.  My husband, on the other hand, doesn't care for my favorite crustacean.  Especially the large varieties.  Still, every now and then I sneak them into the menu rotation because I just love the sweet flavor and tender meat.  And, since he doesn't like them as much, I get all the leftovers!  Of course. this dish can certainly be made with smaller shrimp if your guests agree with my husband.  I made a "surf and turf" style meal serving these shrimp kebabs alongside a delightful beef tenderloin for a fabulous Brazilian Theme Dinner...just in time for the Olympics!

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon achiote powder
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on

Heat oil, garlic, achiote powder, and zests in a saucepan over low heat until bubbles form at the surface.  Remove from heat and let mixture steep 15 minutes.  Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice, orange juice, salt, and pepper.  Pour marinade over shrimp, toss to combine, and refrigerate no longer than 45 minutes.  Thread shrimp onto skewers (I normally do 3 shrimp per skewer since they are so large).

Preheat grill to medium and brush grates with oil.  Grill shrimp until opaque and cooked through, about 90 second per side, until grill marks appear.

Serves 4.

Recipe adapted from Cuisine at Home.

2 comments:

  1. Your Grilled Achiote Shrimp looks awesome, thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and we sure look forward to more of your recipes!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks awesome I love foods

    Wishing you great days stay happy! from deals

    Come Back Soon,
    Angelina

    ReplyDelete