Monday, October 12, 2015

German Potato Salad (Warm)

About four years ago, my husband and I bought a Groupon deal to attend an Oktoberfest celebration in Carmel Valley, CA.  Tickets included drinks and a meal, live music, and plenty of entertainment.  We were not disappointed.  Especially with the food!  I might have tasted authentic German potato salad in the past (I've been to Germany several times, and my grandmother was German, so I'm sure there's a family recipe floating around somewhere, but this isn't it...) but I don't remember ever eating it.  Until that day in California.  The potatoes were perfectly soft, and the dish was just the right amount of sweet and salty, with a little crunch from the bacon, and even pretty (dare I say that about potato salad, which is usually just a tan blob on a plate?) to look at.  When I came across this recipe, I knew I had to tweak it and try it!  Once again, I wasn't disappointed, and I know you won't be either!

3 cups diced peeled potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish

Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.  Drain, and allow to cool.

Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, until browned and crisp, turning as needed.  Remove from the pan and set aside.  Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned.  Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan.  Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley.  Crumble in half of the bacon.  Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish.  Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, garnish with additional parsley, and serve warm.

Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment