Monday, September 14, 2015

Quartet of Dipping Sauces (Fondue Night)

For my Valentine Fondue Dinner, I wanted to copy the three-course meal we'd had years before at The Melting Pot.  However, I only have two fondue pots.  Not wanting to interrupt the meal to wash dishes, I made a traditional cheese fondue to start and chocolate fondue for dessert.  As the main course, I made my husband's favorite chicken tenders along with a quartet of dipping sauces to keep with the dipping theme.  I hope you'll enjoy these as much as we did!

Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup Chinese plum sauce
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil

Combine all except the oils in a food processor and blend until smooth.  Add the oils gradually, processing constantly until well blended.

Chiptole Aioli

4 oz canned chipotles in adobo sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
juice of 1 lime

Mince chiles and place in a bowl.  Add the mayonnaise, Worcestershire, and lime juice and whisk until fully incorporated.


Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

1 tablespoon honey dijon mustard (or be like me and combine dijon with honey, to taste)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 cup (give or take) olive oil

Combine the dijon (and honey, if not using honey-dijon), vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until smooth. I'm not convinced I used the entire 1/2 cup olive oil. I tasted along the way until I got the flavor I liked, adjusting the ingredients as I went.

1 comment: