Thursday, January 1, 2015

This Month: Pancake Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday

Although we just had Christmas, I'm already looking forward to next month and the beginning of Lent.  This year, Ash Wednesday is February 18th, making Mardi Gras, also known as Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Tuesday) the 17th.  Shrove Tuesday began as a Pagan ritual, wherein pancakes represented the sun and that by eating pancakes, the Pagans believed they would get light, power, and warmth from the sun.  I'll let you do your own research if you want to know more.  I digress...  Typically on Mardi Gras I order a King Cake (sometimes I make one) and make Cajun food.  But when I came across the recipes in this meal plan, I knew that this year would be different.  I'd recreate the church Pancake Suppers of my youth in my own kitchen...but with the Bananas Foster inspiration of the syrup, we'd still have a taste of the Big Easy.  Oh, and since this meal is so sweet, I didn't need to worry about a King Cake!  Instead, I learned how to make my own sausage to accompany the pancakes!  Laissez les bons temps rouler!


No comments:

Post a Comment