Monday, October 20, 2014

Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas with Roasted Salsa Verde & Monterey Jack Cheese

It's no secret that I love Mexican food.  In fact, I've been known to make comments like "I think I was Mexican in a past life" (I'm a European mutt) and "I could eat Mexican every day of my life if my waistline would let me."  And because of my absolute love for South of the Border yums, I do try to make it on the healthier side.  Anyway, when I saw this recipe online (sorry to the source, because I can't remember where!) I knew I had to try it.  I have a favorite enchilada recipe that I make regularly, but it's a bit time-consuming and has a lot of cheese involved (including cream cheese).  These are much lighter, and prettier, and I bet they'd make a great make-ahead meal during a busy week or to take to a neighbor in need.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 jar tomatillo salsa
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 large flour tortillas
2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese

Preheat the oven to 500°F. 

Place the chicken in a large stockpot and fill with water to cover chicken by one inch.   Bring water to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and poach for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove to a cutting board and chop into 1-inch pieces. 

While the chicken cooks, in a cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the salsa and lime zest.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes, or until thickened and slightly reduced in volume.  Remove from heat.

While the salsa simmers, in a medium bowl, combine the black beans, cumin, chopped chicken, half the cilantro, the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and half the cheese.  Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Spread a thin layer of the salsa mixture in the bottom of a baking dish.  Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas.  Roll each filled tortilla tightly and place in the baking dish, seam side down.

Pour the remaining salsa mixture over the enchiladas, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.  Place in the oven and bake 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes before serving. Garnish with the remaining cilantro.

Serves 4-6.


The REAL Housewives Of Riverton

2 comments:

  1. Kate, these caught my eye right away! I am a huge fan of enchiladas, and yours look fantastic! Cumin! Cilantro! Thank you for sharing these with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have been Mexican in a past life too. It's the kind of food I crave most often. I love the mix of chicken, black beans & lime in this dish. And of all Mexican food, enchiladas are one of my faves. Thanks for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo this week!

    ReplyDelete