Monday, April 14, 2014

Pineapple-Coconut Cobbler

Of all places, I found this recipe in an ad from a local grocery store!  But, it fit in perfectly with my theme of a Jamaican-inspired menu this weekend as we celebrated our anniversary.  And my celebrated, I mean that I spent 18 hours of my anniversary studying for an exam, and the next day sweating to put in my herb garden while the weather was nice and I had some free time.  My husband and I may not have celebrated in a grandiose way, but we accomplished a ton, and that was fine too!  And what better way to reward ourselves than with this tasty dessert?!  Enjoy!

1 20-ounce can pineapple tidbits in juice, juice reserved
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut rum
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup flaked coconut, divided
1/4 cup butter milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 400.  Place 8 ramekins in a large baking pan.

Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving the juice in a small saucepan.  Add cornstarch to the juice and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently.  Stir in drained pineapple, vanilla, and rum.  Spoon mixture into ramekins (an ice cream scoop works well for this step).

In a large bowl, make the topping.  Combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/4 cup coconut.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, and egg.  Pour over dry ingredients and mix until a stiff batter forms.  Drop batter over fruit filling in the ramekins.  Sprinkle with remaining coconut and sugar.

Bake 15 minutes or until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.

Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment