Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mahi with Heirloom Tomato Salsa

I've been waiting to try this recipe for quite some time, but the original calls for grouper, and I could never find any at the market!  You'd think, living in Monterey, we wouldn't have a problem finding plenty of fresh seafood, but you'd be surprised!  I found a much larger selection on the East Coast...  Anyway, last week I was at the grocery, looking through the seafood case, trying to come up with a suitable substitute for grouper.  I had gorgeous tomatoes already at home that needed to be used, and my mouth was just watering for this fresh salsa since I'd just planted my summer herb garden just off the kitchen.  The fish monger didn't have any suggestions, so I left empty-handed, thinking I'd just make some salsa to enjoy with chips for a Taco Night instead.  But, a wild hair made me look at the very meager seafood selection at the grocery on post (yes, we're military) and I saw a gorgeous mahi fillet!  Now, the recipe did call for grouper, but I know my husband and I both love mahi, and I know it can stand up to the bold flavors of this salsa, so I figured I'd give it a try.  Boy am I glad I did!  This dish was so refreshing and light (but still filled us up) and perfect for a warm spring day!  I served it with a Caesar Salad, Quinoa, and Blueberry Muffins...

Salsa:
1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped
3-4 tablespoons diced red onion
4-6 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fish:
1-1 1/2 pounds mahi gillet, about an inch thick, skin on
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the salsa, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir to mix well.  Adjust seasonings to taste.  The salsa can be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve.

When ready to cook the fish, prepare a skillet (or grill, if you'd prefer) over high heat.  Oil the pan (or grill grates).  Place the fish on a place, skin side down, and rub with olive oil on the fleshy side.  Sprinkle with cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste, pressing lightly so seasonings adhere.

Place the fish, flesh side down, in the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes.  The fish will start to turn white around the edges and release from the pan easily when ready to be turned.  Flip the fillet onto a piece of foil inside the skillet (or on the grill).  Cover (either with a lid to the pan, grill, or another piece of foil) and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and flaky.

Remove the fish from skillet (the flesh should easily separate from the skin), and serve warm, topped with lots of fresh salsa.

Serves 2-4.

Recipe adapted from Southern Kitchen, by Sara Foster.

4 comments:

  1. oh drool! looking beautiful and yummy! thanks for linking with KIK

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fresh healthy meal. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,
    This is a great Salsa with the Mahi, what a great dish! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love magi, but I never see it my fish store any more? If I do I will definitely use your recipe. Thanks you for sharing this on foodie friday. A new party starts tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete