Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cod with Artichokes and Basil

I'm killing two birds with one stone this week:  eating light (we loosely follow the South Beach Diet) and maintaining meatless Fridays during Lent (we're Catholic).  My husband and I have a little routine:  The commissary on the base where we live is closed Monday for restocking.  So I do my weekly grocery run on Tuesdays.  Every Monday night, I ask my husband for anything he might need for his lunches (he brown bags it every day) and any input he might have for dinners.  Additionally, we have a running list on a magnetic pad kept on the 'fridge.  Inevitably, my husband will tell me a few things he needs for his lunches, and sometimes he'll mention a dinner dish he's craving.  But more often than not, he leaves the meal planning to me and sometime during the week he'll jokingly complain that I never make his favorites.  I sarcastically sweetly remind him that I always ask his input, so if he's not willing to play ball, he has no one to blame but himself.  Well, shortly after Christmas, I needed to run some errands and he asked if there were any chores I needed him to take care of.  A lightbulb went off in my head and I retreated to the cookbook cabinet.  Minutes later, I emerged with a bundle of books which I hefted onto the couch next to my husband along with some Post-It tabs and said, "Here.  Go through these and pick a few things.  I can't promise I'll make them all next week, but I'll work them into the plan."  This dish, along with a few minor additions I listed below, is one of the recipes he picked!

1 1/2 pounds cod fillet (pollock, haddock, snapper, or turbot will also work well)
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried basil (I actually think fresh would be better, after making the meal with dried)
10 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, plus 1 tablespoon liquid from the jar
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, julienned (use this oil rather than olive oil, if you'd like)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 450.

Place fish in an ovenproof baking dish, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with basil, and season with salt and pepper.  Arrange artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes around and over fish and drizzle with artichoke liquid.

Bake until fish is opaque and just flakes with a fork, 12 to 14 minutes.

I served alongside roasted tri-color fingerling potatoes (with olive oil, tons of garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper) and a huge Caesar salad.

Serves 4.

Recipe adapted from The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook by Arthur Agatston, MD.

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    This looks like an awesome meal. I just love your combination of the Artichoke and Basil, delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete