Sunday, March 4, 2012

Blueberries

I love fresh blueberries!  Not quite as much as I love blueberry muffins or pancakes, but I'm working on it.  So a few weeks ago, when I was checking out the fruit at the grocery and saw these beauties, I thought I'd see how my son liked them!

You've heard that blueberries are stuffed with antioxidants, but did you also know they're packed with fiber, Vitamins A and C, and thought to help reduce cholesterol?  They're a perfect snack, and for older babies, super easy to tote along:  just wash and toss in a zip-lock!

OK, but what about the berry allergy that we all worry over?  Well, check with your pediatrician first, but note what Momtastic says about these tiny gems:
"Blueberries are actually related to cranberries and are in the Heath family. The blueberry shares no 'family' relationship with the strawberry or blackberry or raspberry. Blueberries are not related to strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Those 'true' berries may be mild to highly allergenic. By 'true berries' I am referring to those berries that pose allergy problems for infants and are in the same family. There are horticultural differences in blueberries/cranberries and in strawberries, raspberries and blackberries as well."
Blueberries are super easy to prepare, if you choose to cook them, which I did upon first introduction to my son.  They can be pureed or chopped raw, if you'd like, or if your little one has tried them before with success.

Step 1:  Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil.  Add a 1/2 pint of
washed blueberries to water.  Reduce heat and simmer
15 minutes. 
Step 2:  Drain blueberries, reserving cooking liquid to mix
with cereal later.

Step 3:  Puree until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment