Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beans, Beans, the magical fruit...

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved green beans. I love them so much I'll eat them straight from a can. That said, my all time favorite style of green beans is the way my Mamaw made them: fried in bacon drippings with an onion...and the bacon that made the drippings, of course! Well, I wasn't going to introduce my favorite legume to my son quite like that...he'd have to settle for the healthier baby version: frozen pureed green beans. With no bacon. Poor kid!

Green beans are full of calcium, Vitamin K, and Vitamin C, making them a wonderful choice for your baby. Still not convinced? What about after reading this
"The many nutrients in green beans can help you prevent a number of different conditions, including Alzheimer's, atherosclerosis, diabetic heart disease, colon cancer, asthma, arthritis, acne, ear infections, and maybe even cold and flu. These are but a few good reasons to add green beans to your homemade baby food shopping list the next time you head to the grocery store."
While green beans are great for younger babies, the skins make them difficult to make into a smooth puree (the way my son prefers).  If you're working with fresh beans, a strainer might help smooth out the food after cooking and pureeing.  Or, consider using frozen green beans (the kind without added butter or flavorings) for a smoother consistency.  Other than that, they're quite easy to prepare:
Step 1: Clean, trim, and snap beans if using fresh (if using
frozen you may skip that part).  Place in a steamer  basket
and cook until tender.
Step 2: Puree the snot outta your beans.  Strain if desired,
and separate into individual portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment