Monday, November 21, 2011

Let's Go Bananas!

This week I'm introducing my son to fruits (well, other than the squash that I fed him a few weeks ago)!  As with many mamas, I chose bananas to begin the journey.  Not only is a banana easy to prepare (and store, since it's already packed in its own handy packaging) but I've read that it's very similar tasting to breast milk and formula so babies love its flavor.
"Bananas are often called one of nature's perfect foods because they are said to contain many of the nutrients that a person needs to survive."
 Full of potassium, fiber, B6, Vitamin C, and B2, bananas contribute to a healthy heart (blood pressure and other heart functions) and may even reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.  Oh yeah?  And that heart burn or acid reflux I had while I was pregnant?  Well, there's a reason why I loved banana milkshakes so much!  They are a natural antacid!  Just know, however, that while they do contain fiber, they can cause constipation...and they can cause (or aggravate) a Latex allergy, so check with your doctor if you have a history of Latex issues in your family.

Oh, and did I mention that bananas mix well with just about anything?  One of my favorite snacks is a banana with crunchy peanut butter!  Of course, your baby can't have that, but once introduced, try mixing some mashed or pureed banana with the following:


Cereals
Avocado
Blueberries
Kiwi
Peaches
Pears
Apples
Sweet Potatoes 
Yogurt


So, how do you prepare a banana? Easy!
Step 1:  Peel banana and mash with a fork.  For a younger
baby, give it a whirl in a food processor.  Add milk/formula
or rice cereal to thin or thicken as necessary. 

So, was it worth it?  Well, I bought a bunch of eight bananas (about 2 pounds), so at $0.59 per pound, I spent $1.18 and had eight servings, or $0.15 per serving.  Jarred banana puree costs $0.45 in my grocery, making my savings a whopping 66%!!

No comments:

Post a Comment