Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spider Cupcakes


For my final October What's Cooking Wednesday, I thought I'd try a fun little dessert, which like my other Halloween-themed foods, resulted in rolling eyes from Hubs, who doesn't understand why I'm making kiddy foods when our babe is yet a bun in the oven!  I suppose I'm just a kid at heart and love all holidays.  That's probably why I can't wait for this baby to become a fun little toddler who enjoys hay rides, decorating cookies, and carving jack-o-lanterns.  Maybe then I won't get chastised for participating in kid-like activities?!


Anyway, you just want to know about the spiders...erm, cupcakes!

Bake chocolate cupcakes according to package directions.  Bonus if you can find black cupcake liners...I got lucky at Michael's, who had a package that had some patterned and some plain black liners in it...

Once cupcakes are cool, frost with chocolate frosting.  I also sprinkled with black cookie sugar (also found at Michael's).  Use two red hots for the eyes.

To make the legs, melt chocolate (I used two 10-11oz bags of "fun sized" Hershey's chocolate bars form the Halloween candy aisle).  Dip pretzel sticks in melted chocolate and glue two pretzels together at right angles.  Place in wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid.  Place eight "legs" on each of your spiders by simply pressing one end of the leg into the top of the cup cake!

Your kids, no matter how old, will love decorating their spiders!!

No comments:

Post a Comment