Thursday, October 6, 2011

Slow Berry Cobbler


When I moved into my first apartment, a mere four-and-a-half years ago, my uncle sent me a crock pot as a house-warming gift. Until last week, it had gone unused. I had no idea what to make in a crock pot, despite all the raves of "Oh! I just threw it in the slow cooker for a few hours!" I've always cooked soups and sauces on the stovetop and I've never cooked a roast, so I didn't know what I could possibly use a slow cooker for! Then, much to my excitement, Paula Dean did a show on "slow cooker suppers" and I just had to try this recipe... Hubs and I loved it! Bon Appetit!

Filling:
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen strawberries
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen blueberries
1 (10-ounce) bag frozen raspberries
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on your level of preferred sweetness
1/2 cup baking mix (like Bisquick)

Topping:
2 1/4 cups baking mix
1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Spray the insert of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the frozen fruit, sugar and 1/2 cup baking mix. Transfer the fruit to the slow cooker. 

In another large mixing bowl, stir together 2 1/4 cups baking mix, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter and milk with a wooden spoon. With your hands, drop bits of dough on top of the fruit in the slow cooker. 

In a small mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the dough and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn the power onto high and slow cook for 3 to 4 hours until the topping has puffed and the fruit is bubbling.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, looks scrummy! Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,
    Your Slow Berry Cobbler looks like a great summer dessert! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete